
"Hey, hey, hey! What's this acting flyer doing on 'this' blog? Doesn't it belong on the 'other' blog?"
Nope.
I don't post information on the many auditions I attend.
I figure people want to see 'results'.
The purpose of putting up this flyer is to help me answer the questions that everyone asks me.
"Why do you still do this acting 'thing'? Don't you have enough to do with a baby, editing and a regular job?"
Well, quite frankly - I'm an actor, pure and simple.
It makes me happy.
Some people watch TV, I act.
Except it is more than watching TV. It's more like breathing. If I don't act, I'm off balance. I'm incomplete. And that isn't a good thing. Everything else suffers because of it.
Yesterday I attended the audition advertised by the flyer. I actually responded to a casting call that I found on Actor's First New York.
I didn't think I'd get an audition, but just the thought of being part of a radio show excites me. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to at least try. My absolute favorite part of the recent play I was in, "A Complete History of America (Abridged)", was the radio show segment. I also got many complements for the work I did for it.
Imagine how I jumped last week when I got an invite to try out. I was unbelievably excited all week. I started practicing voices and sounds, just in case I would get a chance to show what I can do.
Saturday is a busy, busy day for me. I garden, cook, clean etc. etc. I'm typically done around 4pm and I'm usually pretty exhausted by the end of it. Yesterday we also had the painters in the house and that made things even more crazy than usual.
The audition was yesterday night. I arrived early - exhausted from the day and hot from being plastered to a pole in the overly crowded subway and then walking around the city to get to the audition. I was so tired that I could hardly read the copy I was given.
I was asked to chose two pieces from the four provided.
I chose the Announcer - the official voice of 'Detectives'. This one was full of zany radio ads by the show's imaginary sponsors. Very funny.
I also chose Teela Glass- the crazy Southern Belle. And yes I was prepared to do my 'Southern' for this one.
I went into the audition room and met one of the writers and the producer.
Then I was in for a surprise. They invited me to audition in a booth - a REAL booth! It took all I could not to exclaim, "GET OUT!"
That's when the fun began. I went in the booth, put on the headphones and stood in front of the microphone.
I had a ball!
My announcer was dripping with sarcasm. And Teela drawled and squeaked.
Then I was invited to try out some other things.
I gave them my 'monkey' and my best 'horse'. Then I went on to my Eva Braun and Jo Chi Mihn.
When I stepped out of the booth I felt like I had just taken a week's vacation.
I was grinning and laughing to myself all the way home.
I have no idea if I'm going to get a call to participate in 'Detectives', but the audition was a blast.
I hope sharing this little experience with you will at least help you understand the 'acting' thing.
If not, well, I tried.
No comments:
Post a Comment